The sunny Salzkammergut region is home to no fewer than 76 lakes
Located 191 metres above sea level, the Traunsee lake is the lowest lake anywhere in Austria. It is on the shores of this natural jewel the four-star Seehotel Schwan welcomes its guests with breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains. Your home from home in the heart of the Salzkammergut region!
Unsurprisingly, watersports are one of the main activities in summer, with guests able to choose from sailing, surfing, waterskiing, swimming and fishing. A trip over the lake on one of the sightseeing boats is a great excursion for all the family. Take the plunge into the Salzkammergut's fascinating waterworld!
Did you know?
- Many swans live on Traunsee lake. In fact, swans are the symbol of Gmunden and provided the Seehotel Schwan with its name (which literally means "Lake Hotel Swan")
- The Traunsee is the second-largest lake in the province of Upper Austria - only the Attersee is larger
- The Feuerkofel-Seilbahn cable car transports visitors quickly and comfortably into the mountains of the Höllengebirge massif
- Gmunden has long been home to a thriving pottery industry and is famous for green-and-white ceramics typical of the region
- On a small island in the lake lies Schloss Ort, a beautiful castle which for many years served as the filming location of the famous TV series "Schlosshotel Orth"